GRA (CUSTOMS) SECTION
- Clearing Agent presents bill of lading and invoice on the shipment to the Compliance Section at Customs on behalf of the shipper for acceptance or rejection of invoice.
- Clearing Agent passes Customs Declaration via the GCNet, prints it out and pays for the Transit Bond risk and tracking device (cost of device per truck USD 50.00) at either GCB or Ecobank Gh. Ltd.
- Clearing Agent submits the receipts covering the payment for the Transit Bond Risk and the Tracking Device to the Compliance officer whose name is on the Declaration at the Customs Long Room.
- Customs Officer at the Compliance Section processes the shipment for examination and approves for the Clearing Agent to go for the Transit Bond Risk at State Insurance Company (SIC).
- The Compliance Officer sends a message to the Customs examination officer at the freight station for loading arrangements to commence.
- Clearing agent pays shipping line’s local charges for release of shipment for release of shipment.
- Clearing Agent pays handling charges at GPHA and gives delivery order to GPHA to process loading arrangements for the following day.
- Clearing Agent checks if the container is on the platform (Terminal 10) for it to go through examination by the customs officer at Terminal 10: the examination of the shipment is done in the presence of a representative of the shipping line and GPHA.
- The truck carrying the transit cargo is released to the Transit Yard.
- It is worth noting that all transit bound cars/trucks are sent to the Golden Jubilee Terminal for clearance.
OPTION 2(MERIDIAN PORT SERVICES) MPS
7b. Clearing Agent pays handling charges on the shipment to MPS, which
in turn gives the Clearing Agent a loading permit.
8b. GPHA conveys container to Terminal 10 on submission of the loading
permit by the Clearing Agent.
9b. GPHA details charges to be paid by the clearing agent (handling charges and
- Clearing agent pays the charges and the truck is released to the Transit Yard.
- Clearing Agent present documents on the shipment and the way bill to customs officers at the Transit Yard.
- The tracking device is mounted on the truck by GCNet and the shipment is sealed by GCNet.
- GRA (Customs) gives clearing agent a memorandum which captures information on the Declaration and these include: content of goods, consignee name and address, truck driver’s details and tracking device details.
- GRA (Customs Division) gives a 7days ultimatum to Clearing Agent for transit goods to exit from Ghana, starting from the day the memorandum was issued.