STAGE 1 (Acquisition of Charcoal Production License)
- Submit an application form with the following documents to obtain a Charcoal Production license:
- Company Registration and locational address;
- Principal Officers, Director and Partners, and their qualifications;
- Business Plan / Company Profile;
- An Environmental Permit/Certificate issued by the EPA;
- Site plan, and location of charcoal production site;
- Location and source of wood for the charcoal indicating whether sawmill residue, offcuts, etc.;
- Agreement with respect to supply of wood waste or a certification letter from the Forestry Commission indicating the right of use of forest/woodlot planted for this purpose;
- The proposed carbonisation technology and its efficiency and/or yield by weight;
- Receipt of Initial License Fee.
- Site Visit:
An inspection team from the Energy Commission will visit your production site to confirm the source of feedstock and the carbonization technology being used. These two parameters will be used to calculate the quota for the quantity of charcoal that can be exported within the duration of the license validity.
- The Board of the Energy Commission will grant the Charcoal Production License to the applicant upon the successful completion of the application process in (1) and (2) above.
The grant of a Charcoal Production license does not authorize the Licensee to export any consignment of charcoal produced.
STAGE 2 (Acquisition of Charcoal Export Permit)
- License holders must notify the Commission at least three (3) working days before the start of every charcoal production to be exported;
- Each consignment of charcoal produced for export shall require a Charcoal Export Permit from the Energy Commission;
- The application for a Charcoal Export Permit should contain contact details of the shipping line intended to carry out the shipment;
- Upon verification and approval by the Commission of the quantity of charcoal produced for export, the Commission shall write to the shipping line requesting for the release of container(s) to the Licensee;
- The shipping line shall furnish the Commission with container number(s) of the container(s) released to the Licensee;
- The Commission shall issue the Charcoal Export Permit to the shipping line, Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority and Ghana Customs to facilitate the export of the consignment of charcoal;
- The Permit shall indicate; the name of the Licensee, the quantity of charcoal approved for export and the validity period of the Permit.
The grant of an Export Permit is subject to the fulfillment of all conditions of the Charcoal Production License.