1. The GSA negotiates freight and port charges of shipping service providers such as freight forwarders and shipping lines on behalf of shippers.
2. Annual collaboration with the Cocoa Marketing Company (CMC) to negotiate freight rates and other conditions of shipment (for transporting cocoa beans abroad) with the shipping lines serving Ghana’s cocoa trade.
3. Negotiation of service standards of shipping service providers in order to ensure service providers maintain high service quality and standards to the benefit of shippers in Ghana.
4. Representation of the interests of shippers in the prominent role it plays in the activities of international bodies such as the International Maritime Organisation (IMO), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), World Trade Organisation (WTO), International Trade Centre (ITC) International Chambers of Commerce (ICC), etc.
5. Role as a founding member of the Union of African Shippers’ Councils (UASC) which is a member of the Maritime Organisation for West and Central Africa (MOWCA) and the Global Shippers Forum (GSF).