As part of efforts at finding solutions to the problems confronting shippers and shipping service providers, the GSA undertakes varied advocacy techniques such as writing position papers, holding seminars targeted at either supporting or adopting a policy, convention and legal regime or contesting a certain course of action.
Some activities undertaken in this regard include:
- Implementation of IMO Sulphur Regulations 2020;
- Implementation of several regimes including the Paperless Port project, Common Eternal Tariff Tax EassyPass, Tax Stamp, etc;
- WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement;
- Terminal Handling Charges;
- IMO Container Weighing Regulation;
- Implementation of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA);
- Payment of VAT on transit services and levy transit exports;
- Implementation of the ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation Scheme (ETLS).